Sunday, December 9, 2018

Please Quilt Generously for Paradise Fire Families

My moms home is the one at the top with the white door on the ground!

My moms garage
I have not been to this area as of yet, they are still keeping the residents out and I am NOT a resident. I am just the step daughter of an 84 year old wonderful man who lost his wife in 2010 and now everything else he has ever owned in his life is gone.

The truck near the middle of the bottom photo WAS a 1954 Ford that was going to my son, the mini van looking vehicle was actually a Class C RV he and my mom traveled around the USA in when she was still with us. We lost mom in 2010 and I do not believe 'Buttercup,' as my mom named her ever moved again.

This is why I quilt, this is why I ask you for quilts, it isn't just my step dad, it is thousands of elderly, families have nothing left and many watched their homes burn while they drove away that day.
Still, others I have spoken to stated they locked their doors and expected to come back to home. Now, home is gone!

I quilt for first responders and their families, our fire fighters who fought hard to safe homes and businesses while they watched their own homes burn to ashes. Police officers directing families out of the area that didn't know if their own families got out alive. Stories of fire fighter that went to rescue his dad and they both were trapped in the fire until 8 hours later when they could get out.
A mom who sobbed to me because for 2 days she did not know if her son a fire fighter had burned or was still alive.

These are the people we look up to that help us during a crisis, that stay the lines, that risk their lives saving others while unknown if their own families made it.

These are the heroes that would walk away from that word that need us, that need you, that need quilters, crochet and knitters, we need to cover these families with the love of a quilt.

Yesterday, I had a woman beg me to get 90 quilts to the linemen that were in the area and when I told her I could not do that, she broke down. We spoke for a bit, she understands, but daily people come to me with their stories and daily I tell them I cannot help them.

Right now, I have a list of 30 families in need a handful of quilters that have stepped up. I NEED YOU!!! THEY NEED YOU!!!

Please don't think these quilts sit in a warehouse, because they go directly to the recipient in need. Please do not think I have a hoard of quilts because I live in a 5th wheel and have no place to hoard anything. During times like these, I wish for a quilt hoard, I wish for that warehouse I can walk into and start loading quilts up and taking them to those in need, but sadly, I do not and that is why each one of you is important!

Step up, contact me and say you have a quilt or 2 or 10 or an afghan that is brand new and want to donate and I will assign you a family and an address to get them to.

If you can't quilt or knit or crochet...get on social media and shout it out, we have a need!!

There is a quilt shop in Chico accepting quilts for the elderly and other displaced families, but we are Layers of Hope Quilting 911 and our focus is on the first responders that put their lives on hold while saving thousands.

You DO make a difference and so do your quilts!

No comments:

Post a Comment

From head to heart to hands, I quilt! I May Only Be One Person, But Together We Can Make A Difference. Bless you for stopping by!