Monday, April 6, 2015

Quilt Inventory is Almost Gone!!!

I am finally getting around this week to packing up a few boxes to go out to 911 dispatchers and first responders in need.

The first box of 4 goes out to Elizabeth and her family whose home burned down while her and her father (a K-9) officer were at work. Their family included Elizabeth's daughter, mom and sister.

Then, I began packed up the boxes for the 30 quilts we need to get up to Okanogan County high country and I was able to find a large box that will hold 7 quilts which will go up in the mail next week.

Sadly, that will leave me approximately 5 large quilts and then I am down to about 35 infant quilts and our closets at Layers of Hope - Quilting 911 will be completely empty.

I am currently making 2 for the Hands 2 Help Charity quilt drive to send to our neighbors in Canada. I feel after all the support they have given to us during our times of tragedy it only right to send them a few hugs from Layers of Hope.

I am almost finished with a friends quilt, the quilting is going much better on my Brother machine than it did on my Singer and it would have been done a week ago, had I not relapsed with this respiratory junk that is going around.

I have done all I can to get the word out that the closets are almost empty and we need more quilts, but I am all out of ideas. I have contacted quilting magazines, women's magazines, the local newspapers in all the communities I have delivered to as well as live in, local quilt shops and sent hundreds of letters asking for quilts. Yes, Marilyn, I have even talked to my local schools, but no one is interested in a small operation like Layers of Hope-Quilting 911.

The truth is, I am out of ideas on how to raise more quilts. I am so blessed to have people step up and send quilts whether directly to me or to the family in need and that has kept me moving forward.
However, without quilts large enough to cover adults, we will never be able to meet our commitments to our 'unseen heroes.'

That, breaks my heart in so many ways! So, if you have a quilt laying about and you want it to make a difference, please send it along, we really need our shelves restocked!

No comments:

Post a Comment

From head to heart to hands, I quilt! I May Only Be One Person, But Together We Can Make A Difference. Bless you for stopping by!