Saturday, July 19, 2014

Quilts Needed for Washington Wildfire Families

It is to early to tell how many are needed, the emergency crews are working around the clock battling dry conditions, winds and fires in several areas right now and doing all they can to save homes, lives and towns.

The counts of how many homes are totally gone are unknown at this time but initial information is around 40 so far but know there will be more as time and the fires rage on. But hope is not gone and we can give this community back hope.

Here are some questions I can answer as to what we are in need of:

  1. Quilts from twin size to double bed size, must be handmade/machine made, any color, any pattern. Sizes should be at least:
    1. Twin Size 68 x 86
    2. Full Size 78 x 86
    3. Queen Size or larger
We want them to cover for adults at least someone who is 6' tall for length.**They can be quilted, crocheted or knitted, they must be handmade, no store quilts!**
  1. Updated today 5/17/2015, we still have a need for approximately 90 quilts to complete getting a quilt to every first responder.
  2. Can we send them to the cities in the line of fire? If you have a guild that would like to send 10 or so quilts to a department in need, please let me know and I will send you an address. These must be adult sized!
  3. Do I have to send more than one quilt?At this time, we have mailed quilts off, personally delivered quilts and we need groups of quilts to complete our commitment.
  4. Are you non-profit? No.
  5. Can I help in other ways? Yes, right now you can send wide backing fabric, enough fabric to back a quilt, or postage for those that want to make quilts but cannot afford to send then is needed. **Checks must be made out to me directly, Jean Kester. I am still not set up with a business bank account.**
  6. How can I donate quilts?  Where do I send them to?  When they are ready to be mailed, send them to: Jean Kester 18740 Ivan Street SW Rochester, WA  98579.
  7. How can I donate postage? You can donate through the donation buttons on the right side of the blog or you can send a money order to the person in need after they have shown me proof of mailing or send me a check.
  8. How do I know you aren't keeping these for yourself or to sell? Because I would have no reason to keep over 300 quilts and I can assure you the quilts we say we sent have been sent! You can contact Arlington, Wa PD and ask them if they received quilts or Arlington Fire or Oso Fire.
  9. I can't quilt, knit, crochet or send money, can I still help? You can let others know about this, you can pray and you can send cards and letters of encouragement.
  10. Instagram this, tweet it, blog about it, facebook about it, just get the word out! 

1 comment:

  1. I started one today Will keep it up and send you some soon. Its going to be a long haul for the people in central WA Mary in eastern WA

    ReplyDelete

From head to heart to hands, I quilt! I May Only Be One Person, But Together We Can Make A Difference. Bless you for stopping by!