Friday, August 2, 2013

Why We Do What We Do

Let me see if I can paraphrase the news stories this week on Yahoo...

  1. Paris Hilton packed to much luggage
  2. Prince George's birth was registered
  3. What your cat is saying
  4. Several stories on celebrities
Where are the stories that should be making news?  

Have your heard anything about the families and people who lost everything in Oklahoma City, Moore Oklahoma or West, Texas?
Do you remember these things actually happened this year?

What is wrong with us when news stories on someone over packing is more important than entire  communities that are rebuilding their lives?

Where are the stories of the people who have packed up semi's, RV's, trucks, etc. to go help these communities? I am pretty sure they exist.

I ask for quilts from many people and am so blessed to know many of you who donate over and over and over again.  Just alone for Granite Mountain we have people who have made quilts for an entire family and I am talking large quilts.  

We have people who have stepped up and said, I can't make a large quilt right now, but I can send you a 6.5" square for the surviving hot shot.

I get that many of you are busy but I also know over and over again I see where people say another quilt made that they have no idea where it will go or what will happen to it.  How sad, they don't feel they can share even one of those for someone hurting.

I recently read in a quilters magazine where a daughter had heard about a need for items possibly for Hurricane Sandy or Okalahoma and told her mom she had donated her quilts. Mom asked which one and daughter replied, 'all of them.'  

Mom said her daughter did the right thing, they were stacked all over the house and she can always make more. What a bold move on the daughters part and what an amazing response from mom.

I am NOT going to be a fabric designer there are wonderful designers out there like Patrick Lose, M'Liss Rae Hawley, Kaffee Fassett and many more.

I am NOT going to be a famous quilter like Fons and Porter, Ricky Timms and the likes.

I AM going to be and continue to be a facilitator of getting quilts to the first responders and their families and I am so thankful to all of you who continue to help support Layers of Hope - Quilting 911.

I opened my email this morning and here is what I found, I cried, I know we make a difference with our quilts and THIS IS WHY I DO WHAT I DO!!

'I received this quilt from you and wanted you to know how much it is appreciated. It is not only a beautiful quilt, but the fact that you thought of us and were kind enough to respond with an act of kindness is truly special. Many of the members of Waco Fire dept were personally affected by the tragedy in West, TX. Some live there, others have friends and family that do. Working that incident was emotional for everyone. Out of tragedies like West, TX good things will eventually come to light. Your support and concern is surely one of these "good things." Thanks for caring from all of us at Waco Fire Dept.'

It was one quilt for one person and you ask me why I do what I do?

No comments:

Post a Comment

From head to heart to hands, I quilt! I May Only Be One Person, But Together We Can Make A Difference. Bless you for stopping by!